So here’s my list of reasons why I’ve waged war on sugar for the month.
– We now eat more sugar in 2 weeks that we ate in a year 200 years ago. Our increased consumption of sugar correlates directly to the increase in diabetes in cultures where sugar is introduced to the diet.
– It’s addictive! Don’t believe me? How are these apples…. A French scientist had 43 Heroine addicted lab rats that he fed sugar water to over a period of time. When given the choice of whether to have sugar water or heroine, 40 mice chose the sugar water. IT’S LITERALLY MORE ADICTIVE THAN HEROINE!
– Our metabolism & digestive system hasn’t change in 130,000 years and yet our diet has dramatically changed. Our bodies are not evolved to withstand the modern diet that is so sugar rich.
– STORY TIME: When we were kids we were only ever allowed to drink water (which I thank my mother for now!), of course in our minds mum was being completely unreasonable, our friends were allowed soft drink! At the time my little brother lost his last baby tooth we were at an age where we were too cool for the tooth fairy. Mum came up with a little experiment for this tooth. She put his tooth in a glass of coke and said in the morning we will strain it and you can see what the tooth looks like. The next morning we strained the tooth… there was no tooth, it had completely disintegrated. Sugar literally rots your teeth! YOU PUT THAT SAME SHIT IN YOUR BODY!
– Sugar is a dirty filthy little liar! My values and morals don’t align with anything remotely dishonest. I get very cranky to see sugar in things that should be healthy and nutritious such as oats, muslie bars, nuts, “diet” foods. It’s so wrong for food companies to pry on the naivety of the consumers and position their foods in a healthy light when in fact they are slowly killing people. Slowly killing people through misconception and misinformed propaganda – that’s legal??
– Researchers believe that sugar contributes towards more deaths than tobacco.
– Sugar is seen as a major cause of diseases such as heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, liver disease obesity and the list goes on and on and on.
– Our recommended daily intake is 4 teaspoons for children, 6 teaspoons for women and 9 for men. Currently the average adult consumes 22 teaspoons and 34 teaspoons for children. That’s an issue!
– Sugar hides, EVERYWHERE! Added sugar is in more than 75% of the products in our supermarkets and goes by 200 different names! How the “F” are consumers meant to even recognise it? Sugar is sooooo sneaky!
– The reason why we don’t know any of this… at least 96 health organisations have been sponsored by big soda companies between 2011-2015. Health organisations aren’t going to be silly enough to bite a hand that feeds them.
The list goes on and on.
If you find an hour in your life to watch some Netflix watch “Fed Up”. I’m not ashamed to say that I sobbed part the way through it due to the aweful things that have gone on in our society to allow sugar to do what it has done to people.
Sugar contributes to depression, mood swings, disease, premature aging and so many other terrible things. We may feel a rush when we first intake sugar but long term misery is the only thing we have to look forward to. If you think about it, the same could be said about illicit drugs, so my question is sugar any better?